Saturday, October 26, 2019

REVIEW: Marley

Marley
Author: Jon Clinch

Jacob Marley and Ebenezer Scrooge meet as boys at the gloomy Drabb's Academy for Boys. Marley has a keen talent for trickery, deceit and all things dishonest and Scrooge is magical with numbers. So, of course, they go into business together. But it's all based on the slave trade, side-stepping the law, and trickery. But two men with very little moral fiber are going to come to odds sooner or later....and when Scrooge and Marley have a falling out, it is definitely epic.

A Christmas Carol has been my favorite book since childhood. I own several well-read copies, plus several movie versions and a few re-tellings/re-visits. So of course when I saw this book available for review, I jumped right on it. I'm always up for a little visit with Ebenezer and Marley. This time Marley was definitely not dead as a doornail....but he was definitely a scheming, evil little man! Ebenezer isn't much better. I enjoyed this revamp of Dickens story and characters. A little update....a dash more evil intent....and a little added violence. Nicely done!

This is the first book by Jon Clinch that I've read. I'm definitely interested in reading his re-telling of the Tom Sawyer story, Finn. I hope it is as good as Marley!! I love the front cover...the chains are a perfect fit to the story!

Definitely an enjoyable read! I think Dickens would approve.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Atria Books via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment