Tuesday, October 29, 2019

REVIEW: Hearthstone Cottage

Hearthstone Cottage
Author: Frazer Lee

Two couples and one younger sister. An isolated cabin in Scotland near a loch. No cell phones. No internet. Just peace. A celebration of college graduation. Perfect getaway, right?

Wrong.

Mike Carter knows something is very, very wrong almost from the start. Hearthstone Cottage is beautiful, but has a strange vibe. Something doesn't seem right. Visions of a dead stag. Meggie's missing dog. Hallucinations and nightmares. Strange creatures in the woods. An eerie circle of stones. Local legends about a witch's execution. Surprise revelations. As Mike feels his grip on sanity ebbing away, their trip only gets worse.

I love stories like this! As I read, I kept visions of the story playing in my head like a mental movie. This would make an excellent late-night film! Has most of this story been done before in one way or another? Sure....vacay in isolated cabin gone wrong is a popular horror book and movie plot. Why not? Don't we all have a fear of being pursued by evil we can't escape or don't fully understand? A mix of our own secrets and a dark presence.......that's the stuff of nightmares. Makes for a great story!

I read most of this book sitting out on my porch after dark with a coffee and a fuzzy blanket. It just sets the perfect atmosphere for a horror story. Woods across the street rustling in the breeze...a few snapping twigs...sounds of night creatures scurrying....the velvet darkness. About halfway through the story, I had to come inside. It was creeping me out to read this tale in the dark. I love it when a horror story creeps me out enough to go running back inside! :)

Great creepy story! I thoroughly enjoyed it! This is the first book by Frazer Lee that I've read. I will definitely be reading more. I like his writing style. This story builds suspense and creepy vibes from the very start. Well-written, entertaining and definitely creepy!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Flame Tree Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment