Saturday, October 5, 2019

REVIEW: The Long Call

The Long Call
Author: Ann Cleeves

I have heard very good things about Ann Cleeves' other two detective series -- Vera Stanhope & Shetland Island -- both of which are also hit television shows. I haven't read the books...or watched the shows....but both are on my tbr list/to watch list. When I saw that Cleeves had a new series, I jumped right on book 1 with gusto just to see what readers are raving about.

Wow! I just moved Cleeves' other books up to the top of my TBR stack! This book is really, really (really x 10) excellent! I read a lot of detective fiction, and this story is by far the best I've read in quite awhile. Well-written. Complex. Suspenseful. Excellent reading!

In North Devon, Detective Matthew Venn is reeling from the death of his father and the fact that a family schism precludes him from even attending his funeral. He stands outside the church where he can hear the words and music, but feels his exclusion sharply. Just then, a phone call comes in....a body has been discovered on the nearby beach. A man has been murdered. The case gets quite complex. Venn and his partners Ross May and Jen Rafferty discover a pit of hidden secrets, cover ups and lies. But they are determined to find the truth....and a killer.

I love how complex the main characters are. Each has their own personality and reasons for being in law enforcement. Their particular strengths add up to quite the investigation team. Each have weaknesses as well...problems in personal lives, past demons, personality hangups. They are human, after all. The mix of personalities and the facts of the case really make this such an interesting read. I found it realistic and incredibly suspenseful. My favorite character? Lucy. A 30-year old woman with downs syndrome who ends up in the middle of a dangerous situation but shows bravery and strength beyond other people's expectations of her. Lovely character!

I'm so sorry I took so long to read one of Ann Cleeves' books! While eagerly awaiting the next book in this new series, I'm going to backtrack and read her other two series!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**




No comments:

Post a Comment