Tuesday, October 15, 2019

REVIEW: Read and Buried

Read and Buried
Author: Eva Gates

I enjoy this series and read each book as soon as it comes out. I'm a North Carolinian...and it's set in one of my favorite spots on the NC coast -- Nag's Head! I've been to the tippy top of Bodie Lighthouse and gone out on the walkway. All 214 winding metal stairs. I'm afraid of heights, but still enjoyed the view! Each time I read this series, I do have to remind myself that author's often take license with real places. Bodie Lighthouse is not large enough on the inside to house a library, or an apartment. It's barely bigger than the staircase to the top. But, because I love the idea of a library inside a NC lighthouse....I'm willing to forget that I've been to the real place. :)

This time around, foundation and repair work is ongoing at the lighthouse. A crack had formed at the base of the lighthouse and it was in danger of collapse. So lots of construction workers and heavy equipment are at work around the library to fix the problem. When a construction crew finds a mysterious metal box buried under the lighthouse, Lucy finds herself in the midst of mystery. The box contains a civil war era diary and a map of the Outer Banks written in code. Problems immediately start. All sorts of people want to see the artifacts....and then a library board member is found dead inside the library. Break-ins at the library continue as the whole town gets in on the attempts to decipher the code. Is an old secret worth killing for?? What does the code mean and why murder for it?

I enjoyed the plot of this newest book! The mystery was engaging and hooked my attention right away! There were plenty of suspects and some interesting investigation as Lucy worked to solve the case.

Read and Buried is the 6th book in the Lighthouse Library series. Eva Gates is a pen-name of Vicky Delany.

Great book! I will definitely be awaiting the next book in this series!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment