Thursday, October 17, 2019

REVIEW: Malamander

Malamander
Author: Thomas Taylor

Eerie-On-Sea is a seaside town where folklore and legends are just part of every day life. Herbie Lemon at the Great Nautilus Hotel is the local Lost and Founder. He gathers items he finds and keeps them in his Lost and Foundery until owners come to claim them. When a girl slips in a hotel window and begs to be kept hidden from an old man with a hook hand, she asks Herbie to find her missing parents. They went missing on a cold winter's night years before and their disappearance might be related to a local monster tale. And so begins a very magical and awesome children's story!

I read middle grade books all the time as palate cleansers in between heavier adult fiction. This book was a total joy to read! The characters are charming....the story engrossing and entertaining....and the tale just sucked me in from the start! Fun read!

My favorite part of the story is the fact that during the tourist season the town is Cheerie-on-Sea....but when winter rolls around the first two letters on the town sign disappear -- Eerie-On-Sea!  Made me laugh! :)

The front cover art is awesome! That monstrous eye peering out at me is what made me want to read this book!!

Wonderful story! I can't wait to read more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Candlewick Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment