Tuesday, October 15, 2019

REVIEW: The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocol

The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocol
Author: Nicholas Meyer

I love the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. I've read all of them over and over again. Even though I know the outcome of each story...I still love to read them again. The Hound of the Baskervilles has always been my favorite. And as a Sherlock fan, I've watched many movies and television shows based on the characters and devoured many re-tellings and new stories with relish. Some have been great -- others not so good. Certain classic characters are just difficult to revisit with the same feel as the original....and Sherlock is probably one of the most difficult, in my opinion.

I have to admit that I have never read The Seven-Percent Solution or any of Nicholas Meyer's other Sherlock tales. I have always heard great things about his tales based on memoirs of Dr. Watson. But in my quest this year to read more books that I've been meaning to read but never seem to get to.....I had Nicholas Meyer's books on the list of must-reads! So, when I saw this new book coming out, I jumped right on it. I'm so glad I did! Very enjoyable story!

I'm picky about my Sherlock stories....new forays into his exploits need to be true to the original character and not mess about with his personality too much. I have to say I enjoyed Nicholas Meyer's slant on the characters. He tweaked a little bit...but not in any way that made me cringe. The plot is appropriately grandiose -- Sherlock doesn't take on just any old case, you know! Go big, or stay at home smoking your pipe and playing the violin. It's a big case with plotting evildoers....but not over-the-top cheesy. Perfect. Boo, evildoers! Go get them, Sherlock! And be sure to write all this down, Watson!

The front cover art is awesome! Very engaging and colorful!

All in all, a very enjoyable tale!! I definitely need to backtrack and read Meyer's other Sherlock stories. I'm sorry that I never took the time to do so before now. I'm sure I missed out on several enjoyable books! Rectifying that now!

**I voluntarily read an advance review copy of this book from St. Martins Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment