Friday, January 24, 2020

REVIEW: Ark

Ark (Forward Collection)
Author: Veronica Roth

A large asteroid hurtles towards earth bringing certain destruction and the end of life on the planet. Impact is expected in just two weeks. Most of the planet has been evacuated. Only a few scientists remain. Samantha is one that remains behind, cataloging and preparing plant samples for humanity's forced trek to the stars. She finds a spark of hope and strength in the final days.

I was drawn to start listening to the six stories in this Amazon Originals collection because I recognized most of the authors names. Veronica Roth. Andy Weir. Blake Crouch. Paul Tremblay. Two of the writers are new to me  -- N. K. Jimisin and Amor Towles. I wanted to see what pictures of the future this very talented group of writers would conjure up. Ark is the first story in the collection. A bit bleak, but tinged with human resilience and strength, the story is about the end of the world as we all know it....and the start of a new future.

I enjoyed this story. The only book I have read by Roth is Divergent. I never finished that series. I'm not sure why. I think maybe the storyline required too much suspension of my sense of reality. I liked it....but didn't love it. Reading this short by Roth has reignited my interest in that series and also Carve the Mark, all of which sit on my TBR shelves. I think I feel a sci-fi/fantasy kick coming on.

Great start to the collection! I listened to the audio version of this story. Narrated by Evan Rachel Wood, the audio is 1 hour 22 minutes long. Perfect length for a single listening session. Wood gives a great performance. Very enjoyable listening experience.

I look forward to the rest of this collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment