Monday, January 6, 2020

REVIEW: Winter of Despair

Winter of Despair
Author: Cora Harrison

When I saw the book blurb for Winter of Despair, I just had to read this book! A series pairing Wilkie Collins and Charles Dickens as amateur detectives -- how could I resist?? Winter of Despair is the second book in the Gaslight Mystery series. I haven't read the first book -- Season of Darkness -- yet. But I'm definitely going to!

Winter 1853. Collins and Dickens are summoned by a local inspector to a murder scene. An artist is dead, his throat cut. Collins knows the dead man. He's a friend of his brother Charley. Unfortunately Charley is a suspect in the killing. The two writers know they must find the killer to clear Charley's name. The truth is elusive....and the situation quite dangerous.

I like the premise and feel of this series. It's a bit cozy-ish (light mystery, nothing graphic), but well-written and different. I love it when a series offers me something new....pairing Wilkie Collins and Charles Dickens is definitely something I have not read before. The mystery is a bit light, but I enjoyed the story! I'm definitely going to back track and read the first book.

This is the first book by Cora Harrison that I have read. I'm definitely going to read more by her. I enjoyed this book! Fun read! I like the cover art, too. Dark and foreboding! Perfect!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Severn House via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment