Wednesday, January 8, 2020

REVIEW: The Secret Cave

The Secret Cave
Author: Claire Huchet Bishop

I love old books, especially old, out of print, children's books. I found an old copy of this book at a thriftshop recently for 10 cents. I purchased it and several others, saving them for holiday reading. I'm glad I did. Just before New Year's I came down with a cold. I spent a day snuggled in my warm blankets with hot tea....and several really great books. I started my reading binge with this title, first published in 1951 under the title Twenty and Ten.

I didn't realize it when I first started reading, but by page 10 or so I realized I have read this story before under its original title. I definitely enjoyed re-reading it! A group of fifth graders and one 4-year old sibling are tucked away at a country house in France. The German army is occupying France, so children have been moved away from cities for their safety. The nearby village has German soldiers though...so it isn't completely safe.  Their teacher, Sister Gabriel, asks them to participate in a very important secret....they must not tell, even if German soldiers threaten or torture them for the information. They are going to hide 10 Jewish children. It's a matter of life and death for them all.

The book is only 80 pages long, but it packs a lot of story in those few pages! The story is not graphic and totally age appropriate for middle grade level readers. As an adult, I also enjoyed the story.

The used copy I bought is quite old....and in the middle, I found that 3 pages were missing. Luckily, I found a digital copy online to read those missing pages as they were right in the middle of an important part of the plot! I also discovered some long lost school notes from a prior book owner:


I hope she passed her quiz on the 13 colonies! You never know what you might find in an old book.....or not find (the missing 3 pages!). I enjoyed the last read of this very old book, and then threw it away as it was too damaged to share with anyone or keep.

The Secret Cave is a very entertaining story about 30 courageous children! Great quick read for a day where I was feeling totally under the weather. Very uplifting story!






No comments:

Post a Comment