Sunday, January 19, 2020

REVIEW: The King's Secret Matter

The King's Secret Matter
Author: Jean Plaidy

I have been collecting Jean Plaidy novels for more than 10 years. I read her Norman Trilogy years ago and loved it....so I started on a mission to collect every historical novel she wrote. At the time, her books were pretty much out of print...and hard to find. Several have been released in new editions though, so it's much easier to find her books now. I have made it part of my annual reading goals this year to focus on Jean Plaidy. I was so caught up in finding all the books that I never took the time to actually read them! Silly me! I can free up almost an entire bookcase of storage space in my library if I read my Plaidy books and donate them to charity. So....getting started!

I love the drama and politics of the Tudor Era...so I decided to start with Plaidy's Tudor Saga. There are 11 books in the series. The King's Secret Matter is the 4th book (the last in a trilogy about Katharine of Aragon, Henry VIIIs first wife). There is a lot of political wrangling in this book. Henry wants to divorce his wife and marry Anne Boleyn....and he's willing to do just about anything to accomplish that goal. We all know the story....and its outcome. I loved reading Plaidy's version....she creates a dramatic historical fiction picture of how things played out. This isn't historical romance. Plaidy takes history and fleshes out the scenes....puts the humanity, emotion and drama into it. No sex....just intrigue, politics and power plays.

I am loving the Tudor Saga so far! So much plotting, disappointment, and intrigue. This book really gave insight into Henry's personality changes....he became obsessed with having a male heir, he made rash, emotional, violent decisions. He really is larger than life and, for me, one of the most interesting English monarchs to study....but he was a terrible king. Paranoid. Mentally unbalanced. Obsessed. Impulsive. I can't imagine the stress, fear and strain that his wives endured. Makes it such an interesting era in history to read about.

I'm glad I'm finally reading my Plaidy books! Excellent novels!

Jean Plaidy is only one of many pen-names used by author Eleanor Hibbert. Another of her pseudonyms that many readers might recognize is Victoria Holt. Plaidy was the name she used when writing historical fiction. She used Victoria Holt for romantic suspense novels. She also wrote as Philippa Carr and several other pseudonyms. Quite the prolific writer!

On to the next book -- Murder Most Royal!


No comments:

Post a Comment