Friday, January 3, 2020

REVIEW: The Night Country

The Night Country
Author: Melissa Albert

Another darkly awesome fairy tale by Melissa Albert! I was a little bit afraid to read a sequel to The Hazel Wood. So often, when I really love a book, I am disappointed in a sequel. Most of the time, they just don't have the same feel as the first book. But, I am glad to report that, for me, this book is just as good as The Hazel Wood! In places, maybe even better! It took me a few days after downloading my review copy to work up the courage to start reading -- I'm so glad I did! It ended up being a total binge read, just like the first book!

This series is definitely one that needs to be read in order. A reader who hasn't read The Hazel Wood first would most likely be very confused by this second book. I read the first book several months ago, and I had to skim parts of it again to remind me of events, characters, etc while I was reading this new book. The world-building and story telling is awesome, but a bit complicated or confusing in spots. I learned to slow down, to enjoy these books slowly to get the full effect of the story.

I love the dark fairy tale feel of this series. I'm definitely looking forward to Tales from the Hinterland!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Flatiron Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**


No comments:

Post a Comment