Friday, January 31, 2020

REVIEW: Blue Labyrinth

Blue Labyrinth
Authors: Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

The Pendergast series is one of my favorites. The mix of strange, mysterious characters and plots, plus police investigation and supernatural events just ticks most of my I-love-to-read-this boxes.

When I first started the audio book for Blue Labyrinth, I did not remember reading this book before. But as I got further into the story, I started to remember a few plot points. Luckily, I didn't remember any major spoilers and enjoyed the story a second time.

The action starts immediately and doesn't let up from start to finish. In the beginning pages, the front door of Pendergast's home is opened to reveal a very unpleasant surprise.....and things get progressively stranger and darker from there. This time Pendergast does not get through his investigation without great bodily harm....in fact, he is facing death, depending on Margo, Constance and his ever faithful friend D'Agosta to help save him. Very exciting and entertaining plot!

Interesting character development and changes in this book. I'm hoping the series moves away from Pendergast's family tree for awhile.....the ongoing plot points about his wife, his sons, his ancestors have pretty much run their course (for me, anyway). I really want something new.....still weird, dark and strange....but new.

Another great story in this series!

I listened to the audio book version (Hachette Book Group) of this story. As usual Rene Auberjonois gave a top-notch performance. Ever since he was in the television series Benson when I was a kid, I have enjoyed his acting skills. I was sad to learn of his passing in December 2019. Truly a great performer. I know nothing about his personal life, but I get the distinct feeling he was a truly nice person as well. I will enjoy hearing his voice reading several more books in this series. I'm not sure who might be able to fill his shoes to read the new books in this series...he was truly perfect to narrate Pendergast.

Blue Labyrinth is the 14th book in the Pendergast series. For this series, readers really need to start at the beginning to understand the characters, events and to avoid spoilers. As I write this, there are currently 18 books in this series, with a new book (Crooked River) coming out in February 2020. I will keep reading and listening until this series comes to an end! Love it! I'm almost caught up.....only 5 more books to go until I have to wait months for each new book....it will be so hard to wait!

On to the next book -- Crimson Shore!

No comments:

Post a Comment