Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Review: Brontë's Mistress

Brontë's Mistress
Author: Finola Austin

This isn't the usual sort of book that I read. But I'm trying to branch out and the premise sounded so interesting. I'm glad I decided to try something a little different. I thoroughly enjoyed this story!

Lydia Robinson has faced the recent death of her daughter and her mother. She's grieving and a very unhappy wife. Her mother in law is horrid....and her teenage daughters misbehave. Lydia wants something more in her life...and she finds just the thing with her son's tutor -- Bramwell Brontë. Bramwell's sister Anne is governess to Lydia's daughters. 

But.....the problem is....Lydia is married. The servants see and whisper about all goings on in the house. She is 43 and Bramwell is 25. Not only that but Bramwell's sisters know what is going on...and Lydia is afraid they will reveal what they know about the affair. 

Can this strong, outspoken woman weather the storms created by her passion for life, boredom with propriety and whispered gossip?? 

I couldn't help but feel sympathy for Lydia as I read this story. Women had very few choices in life at that time. She's stuck in her marriage....she's stuck in her societal role....and when she does try to find some passion in her life, she chooses the wrong person. Bramwell is creative and engaging, but unstable. Lydia has to make some rough decisions in order to have her entire life not implode. 

Very interesting, darkly passionate and emotional book. It makes me wonder what the real Bramwell was actually like. He always seems to be portrayed as a drunk and a mentally unstable person. He definitely gets left in the shadows of his famous literary sisters. 

I enjoyed this book! I look forward to more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Atria Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment