Friday, September 11, 2020

REVIEW: Short Horror Stories, Vol 1

 Short Horror Stories, Vol 1:
Scary Ghosts, Monsters, Paranormal & Supernatural
Author: Brendon Faife


I'm always on the look-out for interesting, quick reads on Kindle Unlimited. I'm especially drawn to short story anthologies. Mostly because I can easily finish a story or two while waiting on an appointment, over lunch, or while getting my hair cut or having my pedicure redone, but also because it's a great way to discover new-to-me authors. I enjoy having a bit of bibliophile fun while stuck away from home.....a new author, genre hopping, story collections, whatever strikes my fancy. There's a lot of book-fun to be had while sitting and waiting.... 

Because it's almost October -- and anything after September 1st I declare "Almost Halloween" because I love fall and all things Halloween and want to extend the season as much as possible -- while sitting in a lovely massaging pedicure chair soaking my toes, I wanted to read some horror stories. The front cover of this 5-story collection caught my eye immediately. Yep -- I knew it was The One. Downloaded....and proceeded to read....while a lovely man made my toes look gorgeous (sparkly autumn plum purple on toes and nails....love it!). 

The five stories in this collection all center around revenge. From murder and treachery to poaching and animal abuse, every Bad Guy in this collection deserves what they get. I enjoyed each story. The tales are short, easy reads. Nothing fancy, nothing really new....just a bit of creepiness and a strong sense of karma coming for wrong-doers in a big, oftentimes supernatural, way. By the time my toes were done (deluxe...so soak, file, scrub, gel/warm wrap, lotion, oil and toe nails....so about 40 minutes), I had read all five stories. So definitely fits my KU Away-from-home criteria. 

This is the first book by Brandon Faife that I have read. I like his writing style. The stories are simple, a bit distressing in a few places (animal abuse) but not overly graphic. None of the bad guys got away with their evil, nefarious shit. So totally satisfying! All in all a very enjoyable quick read! I'm anxious to read more by this author and see what other creepy tales he has penned! 

**I downloaded this story for free using Kindle Unlimited. The free borrow does not effect any of the opinions expressed in this review. All opinions shared are completely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment