Wednesday, September 16, 2020

REVIEW: The Genesis Game

 The Genesis Game
Author: Andrew O'Kelley
Narrator: Curt Bonnem


I'm a big fan of RPG games like D&D or Pathfinder. And activities like Escape Rooms and MagiQuest are sometimes pricey, but a lot of fun. Just imagine what it would be like if you entered a game....a Dungeon game in a mall....only to discover the game was real. And....you can't leave until someone finishes the game. Then imagine that you finished the game once....only to find out you made a mistake. The game was never about winning....it was about saving humanity. Now you have one more chance. That's it....one second chance to make better choices and save humanity. 

Black Seraph. One of the fallen is sent back. Way, way back to the beginning. He is once again a 12-year old boy, and he has to complete the dungeon all over again. With his dad and a group of other humans, who all believe he is a kid. 

What will happen inside the World Dungeon?

I had a great time listening to the audio book version of this story. It took me a bit to warm up to the main character, but once the story hit high gear and I understood the premise better, I was totally sucked into the plot. I wanted to know what happens to this group of people stuck in a dungeon world! 

The audio is just a tad over 7 hours. Easy listening length. I listened over a weekend while doing laundry and household chores. Curt Bonnem gives a good performance and there are some nice sound effects. He reads at a nice speed and has a pleasant, easily understandable voice -- which is very important for me because I have hearing loss. 

The story is engaging and develops at a nice pace. I liked the characters although it took me awhile to warm up to Seraph. 

I can't wait to read the next part of this story! 

**I voluntarily listened to a review copy of this audio book from Spectrum Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment