Saturday, September 26, 2020

REVIEW: The Nesting

 The Nesting
Author: C.J. Cooke


I loved this book! My favorite sort of suspense story is gothic, dark and atmospheric -- and this tale pressed all those buttons. The basics have been done before -- a down-on-her-luck young woman takes a nanny position....tells some lies to get it, in fact. Lexi believes she can escape her darkness....but ends up in a strange house on a cliff with weird happenings going on....did she run from darkness only to find more dark? Did the children's mother commit suicide....or did something more gruesome happen? Is the house haunted? Are the people the ones haunted? 

There were some points where the story dragged a bit.... but I got sucked right back into the gothic pretty quickly. This is a perfect autumn, start of the ramp up to Halloween, sort of story. I propped myself up in bed with my trusted chihuahua by my side (I did not let her read the book with me -- too scary for her!), a cup of hot tea, and lovely gothic suspense! I was reminded of my teenage self devouring Victoria Holt books for the spooky, goth creepy house in the  middle of nowhere stories! I think that's why I still love stories like this today!! 

Very atmospheric, suspenseful and entertaining read! C.J. Cooke takes a plot that has been done many times and makes it her own. She breathes some life back into the nanny-in-the-spooky-house-with-weird-stuff tale -- kept me glued to my Ipad (digital galley) from start to finish! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment