Saturday, September 12, 2020

REVIEW: Vintage Crime

 Vintage Crime
Editor: Martin Edwards


I love a mystery story anthology! So many different stories -- different authors -- varied characters! Vintage Crime caught my eye at first because I absolutely LOVE the front cover! And then I peeked at the story list....a variety of who-dunnits from the 1950s to present written by some familiar names and several new-to-me authors! I knew a CWA anthology would be filled with outstanding writing! 

And I wasn't disappointed! 

Because Covid19 has absolutely kicked my job (social services) into high gear, my reading time is precious at the moment. Normally, I savor mystery anthologies -- I read one story at a time, think over my opinions, look up the author for a bit of research, add other books/stories from the author to my TBR list....and then move on to the next. But because I was reading a review copy, I felt a bit rushed. I loved each story but didn't have the time to really savor and research. I solved this problem by ordering a lovely hardback copy all my own just before I started writing this review....MINE!! And I can read it as slowly as I choose the second time.....Can't wait! 

I thought and thought and tried to pick a favorite story. Impossible. I enjoyed them all! And I'm not saying one word about what they were about...best to read mystery stories with no prior information. But I can say this -- I liked every author in this collection. Once I get my own copy, I have the feeling I'm going to be adding a lot of other books and stories to my already ponderous TBR list. I love how this collection spans several decades. It really brought home how mystery writing has evolved and changed since the 1950s! 

Lovely, lovely collection! Definitely has a home on my keeper shelf! 

**I read a review copy of this story collection from Flame Tree Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. I will say this -- I review many books for Flame Tree Press and have never been disappointed. Not one time! That opinion is also 100% my own!**

No comments:

Post a Comment