Thursday, September 3, 2020

REVIEW: Scritch Scratch

Scritch Scratch
Author: Lindsay Currie

It all starts when Claire agrees to help her dad on a Chicago ghost tour. She isn't interested in the paranormal in any way. Claire is all about science, not spooks. But her dad runs a ghost tour company...and asks for her help. Reluctantly, she agrees. One Saturday night counting ghost fans to make sure everyone is on the bus won't kill her. But then she sees a sad little boy in the back of the bus....he's wearing very out of date clothing and just seems....odd. Claire can't remember counting him when the tour started....and he isn't there anymore when the night wraps up. Hmmm.....weird....but that should be the end of it, right? 

Wrong. 

Then the scratching sounds start. A quiet scratching inside the walls of her room. And her dresser is full of water. Claire has brought a ghost home with her! 

This book is just such an awesome middle grade level spooky read! It weaves real Chicago history in with the fiction. I have a list of real places and stories I just have to look up and read about now! The atmosphere and pacing are perfect. I liked the characters, and the premise. When I was in seventh grade, I most likely would have been embarrassed if my dad ran a ghost tour company, too! Claire learns some valuable lessons, becomes closer to her brother, and learns many lessons while investigating the spirit who followed her home. 

The cover art for this book is just fantastic! 

This is the first book by Lindsay Currie that I've read. I love ghost stories! And the fact that this tale includes actual history of the Chicago area made the book so much more interesting to me! I'm definitely going to read more by this author! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Sourcebooks. All opinions expressed are entirely my  own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment