Friday, September 4, 2020

REVIEW: Ever After

Ever After
Author: Olivia Vieweg

Being a fan of all things zombie, I jumped at the chance to read this story by a new-to-me author/artist and the story premise sounded interesting. Vivi and Eva live in a walled city, safe from the zombies outside. Everyone has their job....including monitoring and repairing the fence. After an altercation with a zombie at the fence, Vivi and Eva escape the city on an automated cargo train. The train breaks down and they are stranded together between safe zones. They have more to face than zombies. Each girl is facing their demons. Vivi mourns the loss of her sister. And Eva comes to understand what transformation is in her future. 

I enjoyed the art in this graphic novel. It's intense and perfect for the story line. But the story lost me for the most part. There was no background on the zombies, what happened, or much at all on how the town came to be set up or how it works/who is in charge, etc. And at times, I couldn't quite grasp what was happening to the two main characters, especially at the end. Not sure if something was lost in translation or if the story was meant to be secondary to the art. 

I still enjoyed this graphic novel....but would have loved it with a bit more story and explanation of the situation. The cool art carried it for me though. I liked the use of color to make the girls stand out in the bleak, destroyed environment. The zombies are creepy...most looking like skeletonized ick. And the depiction of horde attacks were really cool!

This is the first graphic novel by Olivia Vieweg that I've read. I'm definitely going to check out more of her work! This one is a bit of a miss for me because I couldn't really follow the story line in places and some background is lacking....but the art is great! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this graphic novel. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment