Monday, September 28, 2020

REVIEW: Fright Night

 Fright Night
Author: Maren Stoffels


As I write this it's the first few days of Fall 2020....  Halloween is my favorite holiday! I have always loved spooky stories, crisp fall evenings, roasting marshmallows around a fire and telling creepy tales. So, once Fall officially begins, I start looking for scary stories. Fright Night sounded like a great candidate to help kick off the Spooky Season!

I listened to the audiobook version of this story. Glad I did -- I loved this audio book! The use of multiple narrators really made the story come to life! And that's not always a good thing when it's a horror novel...even when it's a lighter YA one.

The basics: A group of friends decide to buy tickets to a local Fright Night event. At the same time, some troubled teens are working at the event. The two groups will come together with disastrous results. Dark pasts. Revenge. Misunderstandings. Evil. It's a Fright Night none of them will ever forget. 

All in all, the story was entertaining. There were a couple plot twists that seemed a bit forced, but it's a scary story. It's not meant to be deeply complex fiction. The story kept my attention from start to finish and posed a enjoyably dark premise. And, it made me think of the times I attended Scarowinds at Carowinds Amusement Park in Charlotte. Lots of costumed actors out to give scares -- and just a fun time! I'm sure that's the evening these characters were looking for -- and they definitely got scares....just a couple that were too realistic!

Fun listen! I look forward to more by this author!



No comments:

Post a Comment