Tuesday, September 8, 2020

REVIEW: For Whom the Book Tolls

 For Whom the Book Tolls
Author: Laura Gail Black



Jenna  Quinn had a spot of trouble in Charlotte and her kindly uncle offered a new start in Hokes Folly, NC.  She jumped on the chance, of course. But...her bad luck followed her. Jenna's uncle is killed and the police think she might be a killer. 

I love the concept of small businesses with apartments above them! And I envied Jenna's inheritance of an entire shop filled with antique and interesting books! The murdered uncle part was not so good....but she rose to the occasion and made a pretty good amateur detective! All in all, a great start to a new series.

The mystery developed at a nice pace. I don't enjoy cozies that make me wait almost the entire book for the corpse.....this story gets down to business almost immediately. And despite using one cozy trope (property inheritance), it avoided the one I really dislike -- love triangles. As in most cozies, there were some quirky side characters and a cute cop. The background plot of a antiquarian bookshop that needs a bit of TLC was enjoyable. It added to the mystery rather than overshadowing that part of the plot. Very enjoyable cozy!

I'm definitely on-board for more Antique Bookshop mysteries and can't wait for the next book!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Crooked Lane Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own** 

No comments:

Post a Comment